Tiki torches have a remarkable ability to instantly transform any outdoor space into a captivating and inviting atmosphere. With their warm, flickering flames and soft ambient light, these torches evoke a sense of tropical charm and relaxation (and they keep the mosquitoes away too!).
Setting up your tiki torches and keeping them safe throughout your party should be a priority, especially if children are present, so let’s take a look at how to keep every safe.
Step by step guide to setting up a tiki torch
- Choose a Suitable Location:
- Select a safe and open outdoor area away from flammable objects or structures.
- Ensure the torch is placed on stable ground to prevent tipping.
- If your tiki torch comes with a stake or mounting option, ensure it is firmly inserted into the ground or mounted securely.
- Avoid windy areas
- Do not place tiki torches directly underneath or too close to overhanging structures such as tree branches, awnings, wind chimes, pergolas, or umbrellas.
- Avoid placing tiki torches in areas where there is a high volume of foot traffic. This reduces the risk of people accidentally knocking them over
- Gather Your Materials:
- Prepare the Torch:
- If the fuel canister is separate, attach it securely to the torch following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Gently try to wiggle or twist the fuel canister while holding onto the torch. If the canister feels loose or moves easily, it may not be attached correctly.
- Remember to handle fuel canisters with care, as they contain flammable substances
- Ensure the torch wick is clean and unobstructed for optimal fuel absorption.
- Tiki torch wicks are typically made from cotton or fiberglass material. Cotton wicks are commonly used and are known for their ability to absorb and hold tiki torch fuel effectively.
- Fill the Fuel Canister:
- Carefully pour the tiki torch fuel into the fuel canister, leaving some space at the top.
- Ensure you are in a well-ventilated outdoor area with no open flames or sources of ignition nearby.
- Prepare a Funnel (Optional) if your tiki torch has a narrow fuel opening
- Avoid overfilling, as it can lead to spills or accidents. Follow the fuel manufacturer’s guidelines for proper filling.
- Allow Wick to Soak:
- After filling the fuel canister, let the wick soak in the fuel for approximately 5-10 minutes. This allows the wick to absorb the fuel properly.
- Lighting the Bamboo Tiki Torch:
- Stand away from the torch, keeping a safe distance.
- Use a lighter or long-reach butane lighter to ignite the wick.
- Gently touch the flame to the top of the wick until it catches fire.
- Observe the initial flame to ensure it is steady and controlled.
- Safety Precautions:
- Keep children and pets away from the lit torches.
- Never leave lit torches unattended.
- Position the torches away from any potential hazards or flammable materials.
- Place torches in a secure and stable manner to prevent accidental knocking over.
- Burn Duration:
- The burn duration of tiki torches varies depending on the fuel canister size and wick length.
- On average, a single fill can provide several hours of burn time.
- 1 litre of citronella fuel burns for between 10 and 20 hours, so a 250ml cannister on a tiki torch would burn for between 2.5 to 5 hours
- Refer to the fuel manufacturer’s instructions for specific burn duration details.
- Extinguishing the Torch:
- Packing the Tiki Torches:
- Allow the torches to cool down completely before handling or packing them away.
- Detach the fuel canisters (if applicable) and store them separately in a cool and well-ventilated area.
- Clean the torches thoroughly, removing any residual fuel or debris.
- Carefully pack the torches in a designated storage container or a secure location, away from potential damage or moisture.
Remember, always prioritize safety when using tiki torches. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and exercise caution throughout the entire process.
What type of fuel should I use for my tiki torch?
Most tiki torches use liquid torch fuel, which is specifically designed for outdoor torches.
How long does a tiki torch burn?
It depends on the fuel canister size but a 250ml canister should last between 2.5 and 5 hours
Can I use tiki torches indoors?
No, it’s not safe to have indoors due to the size of the flame and associated fumes.
Bamboo tiki torches are ideal for a variety of gatherings and events, such as backyard parties, barbecues, summer soirées, and even intimate gatherings like a romantic dinner for two.
Whether you’re hosting a casual get-together or celebrating a special occasion, tiki torches lend a touch of enchantment, creating a cozy and magical ambiance that encourages conversation, connection, and memorable moments under the starry sky.
Their gentle glow and subtle fragrance, often accompanied by the soothing scent of citronella, add an extra layer of charm while also helping to keep pesky insects at bay.
Switch2Bamboo.com is supported by our users. Some of the product links on this website are through affiliate schemes such as Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that I earn a small commission if you choose to purchase something at no extra cost to yourself.