Bamboo facial cleansing wipes can be used in just the same way as traditional facial wipes and wet wipes but with two really important differences.
Firstly, they’re made from bamboo and are BPA and plastic-free which means they’re soft, strong and can be composted instead of going into landfills or being flushed away and causing problems in the sewer systems. (see the fat berg video down below!)
Secondly, the initial production method of growing bamboo, farming it, then grinding bamboo down into tiny fibres and spinning those fibres into yarn and fabric all use far fewer resources than any other fabric on earth, including organic cotton.
Bamboo cleansing wipes can be used to;
- Remove makeup as well as cleanse your face
- Freshen up during the day or if travelling, keep a pack in the car!
- Maintain hygiene when camping, at festivals or enjoying vanlife
- Help with hand hygiene during the day
- Cool the skin on hot days
TOP TIP; Got a dog? Wet wipes are great for doing an initial wipe down when they’ve rolled in something smelly. They’re also great for a quick no water bath for dogs as unscented bamboo wipes are safe enough for babies and if they’re safe enough for them they’re definitely safe for your dogs.
Bamboo cleansing wipes are a great, convenient alternative to your normal cleansing routine however they shouldn’t become the norm. Cleansing your face with water and cleanser will provide a much deeper clean and you can still incorporate a bamboo switch into this routine by using bamboo washcloths.
Can bamboo wipes be flushed?
Each manufacturer will have their own process so if the pack says they can be flushed, you can flush them HOWEVER it’s far more ecologically minded to compost your wipes.
When a wipe is flushed it can still take years to be processed and decompose fully, whereas in a well-maintained compost heap the process only takes a few months.
Can you use bamboo wipes with sensitive skin?
If you stay away from scented and perfumed wipes then bamboo is a fantastic material for those with sensitive skin. The rounded edges of the bamboo fibres make it one of the softest, smoothest, silkiest materials on earth.
Can I bury bamboo wipes if I’m camping?
Although you could, because they’re compostable, you really should follow the #LNT (leave no trace) rules which say if you pack it in, you pack it out, and that includes your wipes, even if they are bamboo based.
Reasons to switch to bamboo cleansing wipes.
- They are plastic free and BPA free, contain no nasty chemicals and can be safely composted.
- Bamboo grows back 30 times faster than trees so are a much more sustainable option.
- Switching to bamboo saves 65% of carbon sessions in comparison to tree based/paper based products.
- Bamboo produces more oxygen than trees and needs less water than cotton to grow.
- Bamboo is naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal.
Are there any specific ingredients to avoid when choosing bamboo facial wipes?
When choosing bamboo facial wipes, it’s important to look out for certain ingredients that may irritate or damage the skin. Here are some common ingredients to avoid:
- Alcohol: Alcohol can be drying and irritating to the skin, especially for those with sensitive or dry skin.
- Fragrance: Fragrances and perfumes may smell nice, but they can also be irritating to the skin and cause allergic reactions.
- Harsh preservatives: Certain preservatives, such as parabens and formaldehyde-releasing agents, have been linked to skin irritation and other health concerns.
- Synthetic dyes: Dyes used in cosmetic products can be irritating to the skin and cause allergic reactions, especially for those with sensitive skin.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS): SLS is a harsh detergent that can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause dryness and irritation.
It’s best to opt for bamboo facial wipes that are made with natural, non-toxic, and gentle ingredients to ensure that they are safe for all skin types. Look for products that are labeled as hypoallergenic and free from harsh chemicals, fragrances, and preservatives.
Check out what happens when you don’t use compostable bamboo wet wipes and facial wipes. Don’t flush, compost!
Switch2Bamboo.com is supported by our users. Some of the product links on this website are through affiliate schemes such as Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that I earn a small commission if you choose to purchase something at no extra cost to yourself.